Sports Medicine Foot & Ankle
The Steadman Clinic Foot and Ankle Fellowship in Vail, Colorado was founded in 2010 by Thomas O. Clanton, MD, who retired from practice in 2020. Since 2020, the program has been directed by C. Thomas Haytmanek, Jr., MD. This fellowship program benefits from the unique clinical practice of The Steadman Clinic and the extraordinary research environment of Steadman Philippon Research Institute. The fellowship offers a broad range of foot and ankle experience with emphasis on sports medicine, trauma and the adult reconstruction that includes forefoot, midfoot, hindfoot and ankle pathology with surgery ranging from bunions and arthrodesis to arthroscopy and ankle replacements. The weekly schedule includes clinic and surgical experience as well as research time.
- Internationally and nationally renowned faculty are invited to Vail to present in their realm of expertise at these in-person and virtual didactic and seminar case presentation meetings.
Surgical Skills Laboratory
- Fellows in a small group setting have the opportunity to do cadaver-based surgical training with core faculty and guest surgical faculty.
Bi-Monthly Journal Club
Fellows are assigned topical areas in which a deep dive into the classic literature as well as the cutting-edge and latest evidence-based medicine are reviewed and discussed.
Professional and Others Sports Coverage
- Sports Medicine Foot & Ankle Fellows have the opportunity to participate in providing medical coverage at U.S. Ski and Snowboard Team events. Fellows take 1–2 trips per year where they are fully immersed with the athletes, teams and their medical staff. in these coverage trips, fellows often serve as the main physician either during training or at a national or international competition. This provides tremendous growth and opportunity for the fellow to hone their sports coverage skills through high-end interaction with the athletic trainers and physical therapists and other medical professionals that care for the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Teams. Locations include Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Argentina, Chile, Europe, Russia and China. The amount of coverage varies depending on the Olympic year cycle.
- Fellows are also highly integrated into the Vail Valley sports community. This includes year-round local events providing sports coverage alongside our athletic trainers and physical therapists. Lastly, the fellows serve as primary consultants to the local high schools in Eagle County Colorado. This is a robust experience in which you are working closely with the head athletic trainer at two local high schools in the Eagle Valley.
- Health: HSA or PPO plan options available
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Reimbursement Arrangement
- Basic Life Insurance
- Voluntary Term Life Insurance
- Short- and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Voluntary Individual Accident Insurance
- Voluntary Individual Critical Illness Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- Ski Pass Bonus for Fellow and spouse/significant other
- US Ski Team Jackets and Apparel
- Golf Passes
Application ProcessApplication must be submitted through the San Francisco Match Program (SF Match) to Steadman Clinic Foot & Ankle Fellowship #3988.
- The application deadline is November 1st of the application year.
- The Spots Medicine Foot & Ankle Fellowship Program complies with all policies set forth by the SF Match and AOFAS regarding fellowship application, interview and selection process.