Director, Golf Sports Medicine Program
Steve Atherton is the Director of the SPRI Golf Sports Medicine Program. He is a PGA Master Professional in Instruction since 2005 and has twice been voted Colorado PGA Teacher of the Year in addition to being named to Golf Digest’s list of the Best Young Teachers in America. While serving as GolfTEC’s Vice President of Instruction from 2001 to 2012 Steve gained extensive knowledge of not only the biomechanics of the golf swing, but also the various technologies used to analyze and perfect it. He has conducted ground-breaking research on the golf swing, golf teaching technology, effective coaching, and learning behavior. He has written articles and created video content for numerous golf media including feature articles in GOLF Magazine and Golf Digest.
Steve feels his golf biomechanics experience and his desire to use technology to analyze and understand human movement will be a great fit with the world-class equipment in the Biomotion lab and the amazing personnel at SPRI. His goals are to help golfers have longer and injury-free careers on the golf course and get back to playing golf sooner after injury.
Originally from the small farm town of Mendota, Illinois, Steve is a graduate of the Mississippi State University Professional Golf Management program. He has taught golf all over the globe at prestigious clubs including Merion GC, Olympia Fields CC, Sankaty Head GC, Queenwood GC in London, and most recently Eagle Springs GC in Wolcott, CO. In his free time Steve is an avid athlete who enjoys competing in and coaching almost every sport, and of course all of the outdoor activities Vail has to offer. He also enjoys wrenching on cars and watching his dog Lily chase critters on their daily hikes.
- PGA Master Professional in Instruction
- Golf Digest Top 40 Teachers under 40 – 2008-2016
- Colorado PGA Teacher of the Year - 2019, 2008
- Swing biomechanics and teaching technology expert
- Former GolfTEC VP of Instruction
- Written feature articles for GOLF Magazine, Golf Digest, Golf Tips
- Featured speaker at 2010 PGA Teaching and Coaching Summit, 2006 and 2007 MIT Better Golf Through Technology Conference
- Mississippi State PGM graduate
- Worked at Merion GC, Sankaty Head GC, Olympia Fields CC, Queenwood GC and Eagle Springs GC